Sunday, October 27, 2013

Flying Low and Fleeing the Country (Epic Rant with a Geographic Slant)

Having gotten Day 1 out of the way, Day 2 finds us leaving Lamar CO with no idea what our next destination will be. We know that when the eyes grow heavy we shall stop. The sun is just peeking over the horizon as we make our way up 287.

We pass thorough the town of Kit Carson CO. Kit Carson was a mountain man, explorer and guide and from all reports quite the raconteur!

We were determined to avoid the toll road we had used around Denver and save the $9.00. As it was traffic was so hideous, it cost us at least $20.00 in time before we found our way through the mess and exited heading north on 25.

About an hour and change later we entered Wyoming.

The shadows were starting to lengthen and we looked for accommodation for the night. We ended up with a Days Inn in Casper WY, and flaked out for the night.

Up again at 05:15, we had a quick bite and head out. We traveled along to Sheridan where we got gas. The price was a little higher there. This fine fellow was waiting to greet travelers at the gas station.

This is the gas station in question. We filled up and headed on.

After a few more hours of travel we entered Montana. It's true, the sky is big there. After the flat lands of Wyoming it was nice to start seeing mountains again. There were small pockets of snow on the side of the road, but we encountered none falling as we traveled, although it was down around freezing in the mornings.

The trees are really starting to change color and provided some interesting views along the way. We continued to drive, converse, listen to the radio and snack as we rolled along.

The geography continued to change and we saw geologic formations we don't usually see at home in either location.

We stopped in Butte MT. at the Quality Inn and slept, briefly. Up again at 05:15 we were away at 06:00 and drove for about 2 1/2 hours before the sun started to come up. We stopped at a rest stop as the sun was coming up and then carried on.

The sun was just starting to touch the tops of the hills and he ground was a little frosty. We were warm and dry at 75mph in the car, although the scooters looked a little chilly. I had been covering them overnight and the cover was frosty when I stowed it in the mornings.

The color is really starting to come on now, and we are enjoying the view.

Here is Scooterchick, well bundled and sporting her tuque against the cold.

And here is a selfie of your intrepid correspondents as we prepare to roll on.

We made a stop in St. Regis MT. Here's a question, when you live in St. Regis and they take away your driver's licence, what do you do? You use a modified riding mower to get around at slightly better than walking speed of course!

See, here's the Post Office. The Lawnmower Man has now made it over here to check his mail. It is across the street from the store.

The colors continue as we climb up toward Lookout Pass. You may recall that I made mention of Lookout Pass in a previous post. The ski area gets an average of 23 feet of champagne powder annually. The season's pass will be $229.00

Excuse me while I vomit!!!! 

Contrast that with Whistler's pass at $1,899.00 this year.

We crest the pass and head into Idaho. You may think we are making some time! Well, we are. We continue to roll on downhill toward's Coeur D'Alene.

We pass through C D'A and Spokane and head north. This is the town park in Chewelah WA. Our friend's grandparents are buried here. (Not in the park.)

The day is getting late and we stop in Colville WA.

It is a very pretty town and is quite a bit larger than Squamish although the population is about 25% as large. They have 4 or 5 drugstores, several hotels, at least 3 auto parts stores and a Walmart bout 3 times the size of Squamish's.

This is the Stevens County Courthouse.

This is the Colville Post Office.

This is a monument at the end of the Main Street. It is a tribute to the early settlers of the area.

At the base of the monument are a Native man spearfishing, a Farmer and a Logger and a Frontiersman. They are all a little larger than life size.

We headed up to Kettle Falls, about 12 miles north and then took Hwy 20 across the mountains to Republic WA.

Republic is a town of just over 1,000. It is 43 miles from Kettle Falls and another 40 from Tonasket in the American Okanogan.

We stopped to gas up in Tonasket and then stopped in Oroville for dinner.
This is a historic plaza in Oroville.

The day was growing longer and we stopped for a bite to eat before hitting the border. The shadows were lengthening and our energy was waning.

We stopped in a restaurant that was adjacent to the road. It was time for Patsy to change out her American SIM card and reinstall the Telus one.

The walls had decals of major American cities. It didn't take too much imagination to decipher the silhouettes.

The cafe had a rather grandiose name. Well, let's see what they have on offer.

I ordered a cup of Shrimp Chowder and a Cascade Salad. The Chowder was good even if the shrimp were canned, and the Salad was imaginative. It had Romaine Lettuce with  Bacon, Blue Cheese. Cranberries and  Apple served with a Raspberry Vinaigrette.

Scooterchick had a Jamaican Pork Steak with Coconut Prawns, Rice and Grilled Vegetables with Pineapple. Very juicy and tasty.

Our day completed we rolled into Mom's at around 8:30 pm. I took this picture this morning, after having slept very soundly and getting up at the sensible hour of 8 this morning.

We will be here for a couple days in the Okanagan and then head for home.
After 1,945 miles and 4 days it's time to rest up and visit with Mom.
Thanks for riding along with us.


Patricia Carpenter said...

It was a wild journey! Thanks for all of the driving you did......:-). I love you.

Helen Marie said...

Wow I'm impressed...4 days!! Glad you made it safely to Canada and still enjoy the sights. Yes thank you for all the driving you do!

Love to your mom :)